Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fixie Cycling - City Congestion

As mentioned in my last post I figured I should talk about the contrasts of riding the fixie near my house. I look out my front door into a busy overpopulated suburban subdivision with postage stamp lots and cookie cutter homes. I look out the back window and see farmers fields and a gravel pit. Huge contrast. Usually I find myself riding to work and into the urban side of things. As I have to work 5 days a week it just turns out that way. Yesterday working from home I had a great ride out the back. The positives were trees, farmers fields, almost no traffic. The drawbacks are that roads seem to be patched instead of fixed out there.

I did not really notice the difference until riding in this morning and smelling the city. Wow it was nice to smell country air. Think I need to work from home more often so I can get this wonderful air.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about roads! On my short 4-5 mile commute there is one short climb on a cycle track that is so ripply my rear wheel was actualyl skipping coming up it today. On a fixie that can get pretty scary. In fact my commuting route is pretty terrible, i have to cycle down a road outside a dump which is always littered with dust and debris which makes seeing where you are going pretty difficult. the only nice part is a cycle path that was recently built on the edge of a marsh. As the year goes past you can see the flowers and scenery change and watch the rabbits hopping about. theres also some blackberries to be picked there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I was riding over a nice pothole riddled portion of road just before a corner the other day. Had my rear tube blow out on me as I was cresting the corner. That was in interesting feel on a fixie... I was able to pull it out but it scared the begivers out of me :)

    ReplyDelete

egggman's Zazzle